American Legion
Parkville Post 183
Home Officers Membership History Newsletter Contact Us

POST 183 LINKS

PostSch
SAL
Auxiliary
Rehab
Lounge
Eagles
Darts
Past Commanders
BlueStar
Family

OTHER LINKS

Military
State
Etiquette
LegionCaps


The History of Parkville Post 183
1940's

Mr. Eugene Davis was a Parkville resident and Past Commander of the Glenmar Post 148. After WW II Mr. Davis saw a need for an American Legion Post in the Parkville area. In January 1945 the wheels started turning as he sent penny post cards to current or former members of the military that lived within the Parkville community. The initial meeting was held on November 28, 1945 in Mr. Davis’s home with eight veterans present, namely; Hall J. Tircuit, Edward Horn, Lawrence Baier, Gus Voss, William Brown, Louis Rausch, Mr. Haeffner and Charles Abel. It was at that meeting that these men decided to go forward with the idea to have a Post here in Parkville.

On January 9, 1946 Mr. William Brown was elected as the first Commander. Parkville American Legion received its temporary charter on January 28, 1946 and assigned #183. The 1st Post colors were donated by the Glen L Martin Plant, who gave the funds to purchase these colors. Beginning in April 1946 meetings were held in the Kilchenstein building on Taylor Ave, between Harford and Old Harford Road. In June, 1946 members signed the formal charter of the Post. During the years 1947 and 1948 meetings were held in the Willards’ Building at Harford Rd. and Richmond Ave. In September, 1947 a building fund committee was established followed with a Bingo permit obtained on November 12, 1947 with proceeds to be placed in the building fund. Beginning in July 1948 meetings were held in a garage at 3009 Acton Rd. home of then Commander Harry Bleakley.

One of the principle aims of the Post, as embodied in the Legion Constitution “service to the Community, State and Nation was at the forefront of the membership. Equally important to the Post was Child Welfare. Generous donations and support were made to interested organizations in advancing recreational facilities and activities for youngsters and teenagers.

During this time frame of the late 1940’s the Post first became involved with scouting.

In 1948 the membership became interested in erecting a Memorial as a tribute to those members of the Parkville community that had served their country in the military. In April, 1948 the Post hosted the 1st Teen Age dance. This was followed by the Post baseball team winning the Northern Central District championship. Then in December the 1st Post Christmas baskets, 12 in total, were given to needy families.

Beginning on October 27, 1948 meetings were moved to the basement of the Emerald Tavern at Harford Rd and Emerald Ave. Meetings were held here until the completion of the first Post Home. The first bingo was held on February 3, 1949 in the Shulte Hall and run by the bingo committee composed of Mr. Voss, Mr. Davis and Mr. Bleakley. Profit for that first year was $6,835.00.

In May 1949 the Post marched in the Lions Club “Recreation Day Parade”. This was followed in June with the 1st Post sponsored baseball game and was be played against Randallstown. The team was sponsored by the Defoe Motor Co. and Hall Tircuit as the 1st manager.

Lineage
1945
Post formed at Gene Davis' club basement.
1946
Meetings in Kilchenstein's Hall.
1946
Received it's charter, name of "Parkville Post" and "#183".
1947
Meetings in Willard's Building (1st Bingo).
1947
Post first made "Four Star".
1948
Meetings in Harry Bleakey's Garage.
1949
Auxiliary Unit #183 was installed on June 6th
1949
Meetings held in the basement of Emerald Tavern.
1949
1st Post Bingo.


EVENTS

Honorary Life Club
Spirit Night

Copyright 2018 © All Rights Reserved.
designed & hosted by Towson Ink, LLC
Towson, Maryland 21286
www.towsonink.com