American Legion
Parkville Post 183
Home Officers Membership History Newsletter Contact Us

POST 183 LINKS

PostSch
SAL
Auxiliary
Rehab
Lounge
Eagles
Darts
Past Commanders
BlueStar
Family

OTHER LINKS

Military
State
Etiquette
LegionCaps


The History of Parkville Post 183
1950's

With the start of the 1950’s interest, from the membership, to keep and expand activities in the Four Pillars of the American Legion was expressed. In the early years the Post was holding dances at Towson American Legion. In February, 1950, Messer’s. Davis, Bleakley, Voss and Shannahan, of the Memorial Park planning committee, met with the four parties of Parkville community to discuss the plot of ground on Taylor Ave. as a memorial. They found the group favorable to this idea but much more work needed to be done.

In June 1950 the Post sent its first 2 boys to Boys State. The Post was formally incorporated on October 13, 1950 and also during this time period many locations were being investigated as to possible sites for our first Home. In November the first Veterans Day parade was held. In 1951 the Post Jr. Baseball and Girls Softball teams won State Championships. In 1952 discussions were held as to future plans for a Post Home. It was felt that the purchase of land was the way to proceed. Then in September, 1952 the Post approved the sponsorship of a dance orchestra composed of teenagers. During 1953 the search for a location for the Post Home continued. Programs for Baseball, Boy Scouts, Boys State, Christmas baskets and many others continued.

On May 30, 1954, after many years of hard work by Post members, the Parkville Memorial Park and Stone was officially dedicated. During the summer of 1955 the 1st carnival was held with 15 stands and was a great success according to Chairman Bill Wienecke. The carnival was held on the Parkville Elementary School grounds. In October approval was given by the membership to purchase between 3-4 acres’ of property on Miller Ave. The first issue of the Post newsletter, known as the “Patter Parade” was issued in January 1956. February 1956 the building committee reported that the size of the property on Miller Ave is 2.681 acres’ with a frontage on Miller Ave of 450.07 ‘. The Post is in discussions with the owner and Baltimore County on obtaining the necessary permits to move forward. The Post held its first Peanuts for Polio collection within the Parkville community. The first Memorial Day ceremony at Moreland Memorial Cemetery started and continues today.

On March 14, 1957 final settlement on 2.681 acres of property on Miller Ave. was made with a building plan of 100 by 100 ft., which was to become the first official location of Parkville American Legion with ground breaking held on March 10, 1957, with Commander Goff turning the first shovel. In April construction was started, along with Mr. Eugene Davis being presented the 1st Honorary Life Membership as the founder of the Post.

On July 7, 1957 the Post received the Sons of the American Legion Squadron charter. The corner stone for the new Post Home was donated by Merkle Stone Company and was put in place on July 28. The Post Home at 2301 Miller Ave. was completed on September 1, 1957 and the first Post meeting and installation of officers was held on September 27 with dedication ceremonies following on November 9, 1957. On February 26, 1958 the names of James F Mutschler and Arthur J Donovan, Baltimore Colt football players, were voted in as members of the Post. Emblem Sales was started in April. In 1959 the 1st Annual Schoolmasters Banquet was held to honor the heads of various schools in the community.

Lineage
1950
Post Incorporated.
1951
Search for permanent Post Home began.
1955
Land for Post Home purchased.
1955
Post dedicated Parkville War Memorial on Taylor Avenue.
1956
1st issue of the Patter Parade was published.
1957
Moved to present Post Home 2301 Miller Avenue. (now Putty Hill Avenue).
1957
Eugene Davis named as "First Life Member" & "Honorary Post Commander".
1957
1st affair held in new Post Home - Installation of Officers.
1957
1st Dance held at Post Home.
1958
The Sons of the American Legion Squadron #183 was installed July 7th.
1959
Volunteers were requested for Christmas Tree sales at Memorial Stadium.



EVENTS

Honorary Life Club
Spirit Night

Copyright 2018 © All Rights Reserved.
designed & hosted by Towson Ink, LLC
Towson, Maryland 21286
www.towsonink.com